Recently, the gentleman who heads World Class Bullshitters called for a list that outlined the phases in Geeker Gates, during one of their High Council live streams.
I submit the following outline for consideration. This is based on my own experience with the recent Star Wars controversies and similar controversies in other IPs.
This is only a starting point, and therefore is a work in progress. I invite suggestions and insight from others.
I want to stress, that my primary interest is in film and television. So others that are more deeply involved in comics, novelizations, video games, board games, role playing games, card games, etc., may have additional insight.
THE PHASES OF A GEEKER GATE
1. SJW CRITICISM – The IP is criticized by SJWs for being racist, sexist, misogynist, homophobic, and a smattering of other things.
2. IP IS ABOUT TO UNDERGO REBOOT – or reimagining, or remake, or whatever term is fashionable at the time.
3. THE BARNACLING – SJWs barnacle themselves to the IP both within its production and without in the fan base, and start lecturing long time fans.
4. FAN CRITICISM – Long time fans of the IP voice legitimate criticism of the new direction.
5. SJW RESPONSE TO FAN CRITICISM – A large fan backlash is created when SJWs both within and without the production falsely accuse critics of being racist, sexist, misogynist, homophobic etc.
6. DISMISSING THE BACKLASH – Media publishes pieces declaring the backlash doesn’t exist.
7. IGNORING THE BACKLASH – Media publishes pieces instructing others to ignore the “tiny vocal minority.”
8. SUPPRESSING THE BACKLASH – Blogs and websites delete or otherwise “redact” critical comments and posts in discussion forums under the aegis of “hate speech.”
9. BACKLASH INTENSIFIES – As an inevitable side effect of suppression, backlashers seek out other venues to express their criticism, and some publish their own, growing the backlash exponentially.
10. HATE HOAXES & FALSE FLAGS – The rank and file SJW activists get heavily involved in shouting down critics, and creating false flags and hate hoaxes in an effort to discredit critics.
11. IP FAILURES – The IP starts to falter as fans drift away and sales plummet.
12. THE DAMSEL IN DISTRESS – A female member of the production (it could also be a gay man) is granted victim status over a fishy event in order to deflect from the failures of the IP, and shame critics into silence.
13. DESPERATE PLEAS FOR COMMUNITY MANAGEMENT – “White Knights” in the media call for creative authorities to smack down the backlash and restore control of the narrative in response to The Damsel In Distress event. Media publishes multiple articles with the same talking points and buzzwords such as “toxic” in an effort to mischaracterize the fan base. Major news outlets report on the story, and quote these “think” pieces as authoritative.
14. ANSWERING THE CALL – Celebrities and creative cast & crew answer the media’s call, and make public statements admonishing critical fans, typically over false accusations.
15. THE FINAL PUSH – Media entities, and rank and file SJWs tell long time fans to go find something else if they don’t like it anymore, in a last ditch effort to push critics out of the “community” once and for all.
16. IP BLEEDING – The IP continues to hemorrhage money, as long time fans continue to abandon the IP in droves.
17. FANBASE OBLITERATION – The fanbase is utterly destroyed, leaving behind only the small handful of SJWs who don’t make any purchases.
18. THE END – The new incarnation of the IP comes to an end. Since the majority of the fan base has abandoned it, there’s no more controversy or discussion about it. It’s over. The best case scenario is that the original IP is largely forgotten with the exception of a few die-hards who still carry the torch. The worst case scenario is that the new incarnation of the IP overwrites the original IP, and the original IP is forgotten altogether and overshadowed by the new incarnation in all future media mentions.
19. MIGRATION – The remaining SJWs jump ship to devour a new IP that is popular, and undergoing a transitional phase.
20. REBIRTH – The process begins anew.
A special thanks to Ethan Van Sciver for catching some grammatical problems which I’ve since corrected, who comments on this list:
To understand the foundational and historical basis for Geeker Gates, read this blog post here.
Veeh has some additional insight into this list in his video:
World Class Bullshitters has commented as well.
An updated version of the Phases of a Geeker Gate can be read here.